Sep 1, 2011

The First Real Meal

Yep. It's official. I have decided that this skillet makes me cook better. Or, it, at least, makes my food taste better. Normally my food is bland and boring, but this was delicious. Sumo was upset that I didn't make more; normally he grumbles that he has to finish what's already on his plate.

Maybe the skillet brings out my love for cooking, or maybe it just exudes magic powers. I honestly didn't mind laboring over the stove for an hour and a half. Though, I'm sure it helped that  most of that time I didn't really do anything. 

Anyway, you're probably sitting there wondering if I would just tell you what I made already. And I say, "Yes!" I think I'll even share the recipe. 

Now, to start, please know that this recipe isn't exact. I'm estimating the measurements for some things; I'll put an asterisk next to those to help you out. Just know that you can add more or less depending on your tastes. My measurements are approximations. I'm also writing the recipe for 2, if you need more, just double it! Or triple...whatever.

CHICKEN & QUINOA BAKE

1/2 c. Onion; diced
2 Celery Stalks; diced
1 c. Water
1/2 c. Quinoa - I used red, organic from Trader Joe's (thank you Erin Persaud), but you can find it in the Natural Foods section at most grocery stores
1 Chicken Bouillon Cube
1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
1 Garlic Clove; minced
1 (7 oz) can Corn
1/2 tsp. Cumin*
1/4 tsp. Cayenne*
2 Chicken Thighs; skinned - I left the skin on for fun. 

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. With skillet on stove top, heat set to high, add all ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil. 


3. When mixture begins to boil, remove skillet from heat, add chicken (just place on top), and cover (I don't own a true lid for my skillet, so I used one from a large soup pot I already do own). Bake skillet at 350 for 1 hour or until chicken is done. 



Remember to wash out the skillet after you're done with it. Just use a sponge and hot water. After you've scrubbed the quinoa out of your skillet, take a bit of oil on a paper towel, and wipe her down. Then store her back on top of the stove (it makes it look like you do a ton of good cooking when you store a skillet on the stove) or wherever you prefer to store her.

And yes, a skillet is definitely a her. 

**On a side note, Sumo has asked me to make him bacon for breakfast every morning now.**

No comments:

Post a Comment