Aug 31, 2011

A Skillet Beginning

Last weekend, I told Sumo that I wanted a cast-iron skillet. I had just finished reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, and the food that Aunt Chloe made in the cabin had me yearning for 'real food.' No more of these 'just-add-water-pancakes', I want the real stuff. I want the stuff you have to labor over. The stuff that tastes so good you can't believe you actually made it.

Now, I know that just because it's made in cast-iron, doesn't mean it will automatically be delicious. Cast-iron just evokes a feeling - a feeling that it will automatically be delicious.

So, Sumo told me to buy one - he'd pay. After searching for a while, I settled-in on Amazon.com and found a beautiful 8 pound, coal-black, Lodge, 12 inch, cast-iron skillet.  And at $19.99, it seemed like a steal (especially since I wasn't the one spending the money). I put it in my cart, and purchased it.

Two days later, I had a new cooking utensil, or at least something to smack robbers on the head with.


Now, anyone who has ever gotten a new piece of cast-iron knows that you need to season it. Even if it comes pre-seasoned, you still need to season it. I had no idea what that meant, but I knew that I had to do it. So, I called 'the-one-whom-knows-everything' - Mom.

She told me I needed to talk to my Uncle Mark - see, I told you she knew everything.

So, on Monday night, I sent Uncle Mark an email seeking his advice. Here is what he had to say:


"1. Soak a paper towel with cooking oil and rub it on the inside AND outside of the pan.
2. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours...shut off oven, leave pan in and let it cool.
3. Re-coat, and Repeat, at least three times.
4. After the third time, with the pan cold, slide your fingers over the inside of the pan.  It should feel smooth with NO stickiness.  If it is sticky, put back in the oven for another hour at 450.
You can't count on oven temps, and sometimes I have had to resort to putting the pan on a top burner on high and letting it get hot until it starts smoking... then shut it off... leave the pan on the burner and let it cool.  Once it's smooth with no stickiness, it's ready. "
And, oh, is she ready!

She took forever and made the house smell like cooking oil. I think Sumo asked four times if something was burning.  But it was all worth it. Why?

Take a look. 


That half piece...yeah, I ate that one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment