Sep 15, 2011

A Cast-Iron Stirfry

I had some problems with this one. Not anything that couldn't be changed the next time I made it. Infact, I'm blaming the problems on Sumo. They were all his fault.

Everyday, when he leaves the office, he calls me from his car. I know that as my cue to start making dinner. So, yesterday, when I got the call, things were no different. The problem was that he took longer to get home than dinner took to make.

Here's what I made:

Steak Stirfry:
1 tbsp. Sesame Oil
1 tbsp. Sesame Seeds
1-2 Cloves Garlic; minced
1 bag Frozen Vegetables (I used Giant brand Stirfry Vegetables)
1 (8oz) Steak (cut of your choosing – I prefer skirt or flank); cut into think strips
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 c. Minute Rice (or other white rice); cooked
Handful Scallions
1. Preheat skillet on stove top to medium/high. On a plate, season steak with salt and pepper.
2. When pan is warmed, add oil and sesame seeds; saute until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables. Saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and steak along with 1 tbsp soy sauce. Cook 2 minutes for medium/rare. Remove to large bowl.



3. Add rice to skillet with other tbsp soy sauce. Do not leave in skillet for long. Remove quickly to bowl with steak and vegetablees. Mix all together and plate.



Now, my problem with this was that I had it all in the bowl and Sumo was no where in sight. I could have dug in and had a meal fit for a King (or Queen, rather), but I figured I'd be nice – Sumo works so hard.

Well, the fact that he wasn't home yet did have me a bit worried. I don't often cook steak, but I do know (mainly because I'm the grill master of the house, and proud of it), that steak continues to cook for a few minutes after you remove it from heat.

When I removed it from the heat, it was appropriately medium/rare. When Sumo got home it was inappropriately well done. So, sad to say, not much of the steak was eaten. Bummer.

The veggies, seeds, and rice were darn delicious though.

What have I learned? Well, when making steak, wait until all of the dinner party is present. Unless, of course, you like your steak well done. Then, by all means, make it early.

No comments:

Post a Comment