Sep 13, 2011

The Dirty Skillet

While researching my skillet, I came across a lot of info about how to clean it. One site said use soap, one site said don't use soap. Some said to use a plastic Brillo pad, some said use salt and a paper towel. But there is one thing that everyone seemed to agree with: Don't put it in the dishwasher.

Man, they almost make you want to not use this pan for fear that you'll have to figure out how to clean it afterwards.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I've tried a few of these techniques and I'm ready to let you know what works and what just doesn't.

#1. The Soap Method.
Many people say that it's fine to use soap. Soap can help get a good scrub going to remove bits and pieces that are stuck to the pan.

Everyone does agree, however, that you should not soak your pan in soap water. Cast-iron is quite prone to rusting, and the soap can eat away at your seasoning.

#2. The No Soap Method.
The common belief is that if your skillet has nooks and crannies, or areas where the seasoning isn't quite 'just right,' the soap will get in there and dry. Then when you cook, you'll have trace amounts of soap in your food.

It is also believed, as I said above, that the soap can corrode the seasoning which you worked so hard to achieve.

Instead of using soup, just use warm water and a sponge.

#3. The Brillo Pad Method
Note: I do not mean a legitimate Brillo pad - obviously that would scrape the seasoning away. But many people use a sponge with a bit of a plastic-like scraping area.

I was using a normal sponge that had one surface with a plastic scraping area. Maybe I scraped too hard, or may you shouldn't use those. I definitely scraped away much of my seasoning. That's why I reasoned my pan yesterday. I think I'm going to give it another coat today, for good measure.

But there is hope for this method: I bought one of these at the grocery store yesterday.



It looks like a little pillow. The whole thing is made of soft cloth, but the side pictured has a material with more of a texture that helps to scrub tough spots but doesn't scrape off the seasoning either.

If you want one, It's made my Scrubbing Bubbles (whom I love) and costs $4.00 (it's a 2 pack). Oh, it's also machine washable - yay!

#4. The Salt and Paper Towel Method.
This method works wonderfully and you don't have to worry about water touching your skillet.

Here's how to do it: With the skillet still warm, pour a little salt on the area where the food is stuck and take a paper towel to it. The salt works as an abrasive and removes the food, but isn't abrasive enough to remove the seasoning.

It works very well. My only problem with it is that if your seasoning is a bit off (as mine was from the Brillo-pad Method) the paper towel rips a bit and comes off in the pan.

Choose whichever method you prefer. Just know that if water touches your pan, you've gotta dry it with a towel, and stick it back on the stove for 2 or 3 minutes. No Rust Allowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment