Sep 7, 2011

That's Some Goooood Cookin'

Well, the skillet has me back to being a good cook, because last night's dinner was mmm...mmm....delicious!

I took some chances last night with this meal. I didn't think it would be bad, but I wasn't quite sure that it would be good. In a normal pan, when I feel that way about what I'm making, it ends up being not quite so enjoyable. But last night, I could have eaten thirds. Sadly, I didn't make enough to even get seconds.

I do think I could have made it even better, and I'll mention how after I've posted and explained my recipe. But for now, this in itself was absolutely delicious.

Skillet Seared BBQ'd Chicken with Green Beans
Flour (est. amount needed for dredging)
McCormick's Garlic Pepper Seasoning (a few twists of the grinder)
Salt and Pepper (probably about 1/4 tsp of each)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Chicken Thighs with skin
Canned Green Beans (I used 2 cans - we're trying to eat more veggies)
BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ)

1. Preheat skillet on stove top to medium-high. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a large, shallow plate mix together flour, garlic pepper seasoning, salt, and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
2. Add oil to skillet. Place chicken in skillet, skin-side down. Allow to sear for 3 minutes. Flip chicken and sear other side for 3 minutes.


3. Push chicken aside and add green beans.
4. Remove skillet from stove top and add to oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.


5. When chicken is done, remove skillet from oven. Once chicken is plated, with BBQ sauce in a small dish, use a pastry brush to rub it over top of chicken, coating thickly. Plate green beans and enjoy.



Ok. For one, I need to say that the green beans were insane. I don't know if it was due to the little olive oil remaining in the pan, or the juices and browned bits from the chicken, but those beans were fantastic.

Now, to make the chicken even better: Next time I make this, I will sear the chicken, but before adding it to the oven, I will apply one coat of BBQ sauce. Then, after 10 minutes I will re-coat (and do so every 10 minutes until chicken is done). The last coating will still be when the chicken is plated. I think this will allow the sauce to adhere better to the meat. Sounds yummy.

Man, I'm hungry now.

No comments:

Post a Comment