Sep 22, 2011

Sin City Skillets

Whew! I feel like it’s been such a long time since I’ve last posted.

See, we went out West. We’re actually doing quite a bit of traveling this month. Tomorrow we head to Pennsylvania and on Tuesday we head to California.

But this past trip…We went to Las Vegas and Northwestern Arizona.

I was worried about what I would be able to write about when I got home. I haven’t cooked in a week. My poor skillet sat on my stove top, all cold and lonely. But, I was in luck.

While in Vegas, we went to Mario Batoli and Joseph Bastianich’s restaurant, Carnevino. I had an interesting experience while there. See, I was a bit ill prior to dinner so I wasn’t feeling so much like eating. But as it was 9:30 at night and we hadn’t eaten since 11am, I knew that I needed something in my belly. Of course, Sumo ordered the steak – and it was good (he always lets me try at least 1 bite). But I didn’t want a steak – it sounded too heavy. So, I ordered an appetizer: Eggplant.

Imagine my surprise, and joy, when the eggplant was seated in front of my face served in none other than a cast-iron mini-skillet. The skillet was so darn cute and the eggplant looked beautiful. It tasted wonderful, too.

Now, I’m sure it wasn’t cooked in the mini-skillet, just plated on it. But still, a skillet makes a wonderful serving dish.

What a versatile instrument of cooking! See why I love it yet?



Of course, I also ate some great food in Arizona – and I have a few skillet ideas…

No comments:

Post a Comment