Sep 6, 2011

Skillet 101

Last week I shared my uncle Mark's guide for seasoning a new skillet. Well, I was thinking about that and trying to decide what it is exactly that I want to accomplish with this blog. I know that I want to post recipes, anecdotes, and pictures. But do I want to share more than that? There's so much history to the skillet, so many benefits. Should I share that information, too? 

I think so. 

So, I've decided that now and then (probably when I have nothing else to post) I'll do what I'm going to call, Skillet Tutorial. BORING! I know, sorry. I'll try to keep them enjoyable. 

Today's lesson is about the health benefits of cooking with cast-iron. 

There are two real benefits health-wise when it comes to cast-iron cooking. The first is that your iron intake goes up slightly. The second is that you aren't getting any of the unhealthy metal or chemical combinations that you would if you were cooking with something else, say, Teflon. 

First of all, our bodies need a certain amount of the mineral iron to function properly. Iron aids the production of red blood cells, specifically the main protein in them, hemoglobin. Hemoglobin carries oxygen throughout the body, and without it, the muscles (and other organs) wouldn't work properly. A deficiency of iron can cause fatigue, shortness of breath, and even shorten your attention span. By lacking in iron, a person can develop anemia, and children who lack iron can have stunted growth (might that be why Mom made me take iron supplements? Hmm...). 

The amount of iron the body needs depends on age and sex. As a woman of childbearing age, I should be consuming 18mg of iron a day. Whereas, Sumo, on the other hand, should be consuming around 8mg. Children under 10 and teenage boys should limit their intake to between 8 and 11mg. Teenage girls should intake around 15mg per day. When women have left the childbearing age, their iron intake should drop to around 8mg daily. 

Many foods contain iron, but most people still don't get the proper amount (especially women). There is a great chart on the CDC's website, http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/vitamins/iron.html, that shows the amount of iron in certain foods. But by cooking in cast-iron, you can add even more.

When you cook in cast-iron, iron can be absorbed into the foods your're preparing. Again, here's a great little chart: http://www.pyroenergen.com/articles/cast-iron.htm

And secondly, it has been proven that the non-stick coating on other pots and pans can break down when cooking above the smoke-point of the oil used. Now, there are rules to use that help this to not happen, and I'm definitely not going to stop using the pans I already have. However, if it comes to increased iron or increased chemicals, I'd go with the iron anyday.

So, not only is it a tool that helps your food taste better, but it helps you feel better, too. I think that's reason enough to keep one around. 

***The intake of too much iron can lead to iron toxicity. Be sure to follow the guidelines provided in the CDC list and, if unsure, see a doctor. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment