Sep 14, 2011

Skillet Brownies

Yes, I did. I made brownies in the skillet. Or, rather, one, giant, round brownie. Of course, I cut it into 20 smaller ones, so we'll leave it at brownies. Just remember that it was circular and made in a skillet.


Never before have I made brownies in a vessel that made it so easy to remove them. It was perfect: no scraping with a knife, no fighting with burnt edges.

Now, all of that said, there was one slight problem: how long do you cook brownies if you're using a skillet? The box (yes, I used a box. Pillsbury = Delicious. Everyone knows that.) gives directions for a 9"x13" baking pan, a 9"x10"  (or somewhere near there), and an 8"x8". But no where does it say what to do when you have a skillet with a 12" diameter.

I figured that since skillets retain heat so well, I'd try 20 minutes set at 350 degrees. After 20 I stuck in a knife. As I licked the goo from the knife, I thought, "These are delicious." But the were way too runny, so I set the timer for another 10 minutes.  It was just slightly too long.

If you like perfectly cooked, cake-like brownies, cook them for 30 minutes. That's what I ended up with; however, if I ever make these in the skillet again, I'll probably take them out at 26 minutes, and let them cook in the skillet until they reach their desired gooey-ness level.

Nevertheless, I really can't complain.


I've got a plate full of brownies!

No comments:

Post a Comment