Oct 11, 2011

The Whole Shabang

Well, I'm back from trip 3 and am settling into my normal routine again. Though, now that I'm planning a wedding, my normal routine seems anything but normal.

Anyway, last night, I finally brought out the skillet. I missed her and I could tell she missed me. She just looked sad.  She needed to cook something, and by golly, she did.

So while at the grocery store, thinking about what to make, I bought a whole, cut-up chicken, but didn't quite realize how much chicken that really entailed.

So I knew that I wanted to roast up some veggies, and figured I'd just throw the chicken in, but once I got the veggies cooking, I realize there wasn't exactly enough space in the skillet, let alone our stomachs for an entire chicken.

What was I thinking? Well, whatever it was, the dinner ended up tasting pretty good - especially the vegetables. They were fantastic!

Here's how I did it.

Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
1 whole, cut-up Chicken
1 tbsp Olive Oil, plus 2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Herbs de Provence (or other herb of your choice)
8 baby Yukon Potatoes, halved
2 Carrots, sliced into bitesize chunks
1/2 large Onion; cut into large slices
3 cloves Garlic; sliced
1/4 tsp Parsley
1/4 tsp Sage
1/4 tsp Thyme
1/4 tsp Rosemary
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper (I used garlic pepper, mmm...)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Add the potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic to the skillet. Add the oil. Stir in the parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add skillet to oven and bake for 20 minutes.


2. In a bowl, add pieces of chicken that you decide to use (I used the breasts), oil, and Herbs de Provence.
3. After the veggies are done, remove skillet from oven, push veggies to the side and add chicken. Return skillet to oven and bake 40 minutes.
4. After 40 minutes, remove skillet, flip chicken. Return to oven and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.



The best part about this is that the carrots end up not tasting like carrots, which is great, because I hate carrots.


A perfect dish for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment